This easy oven roasted potatoes recipe takes less than 15 minutes to prep. They are crispy on the outside, creamy and fluffy on the inside and full of flavor.
I grew up in Indiana. There was a song for a local amusement park that would ring out on our televisions, “there’s more than corn in Indiana … “. There is, and it’s potatoes. All kinds, all ways. They were on my plate often.
I moved to San Diego in my 20s and brought my love of potatoes with me. I raised a house of boys and getting enough food in front of them every night without breaking the bank meant adding potatoes to most meals. I have at least 12 different potato recipes. And they are all delish!
These oven roasted potatoes are the perfect easy weeknight side dish. They pair well with any protein and are a healthy carb. You can season them with any spice that compliments the rest of your meal, but I mostly prefer to keep them simple and just add salt and pepper. The flavor of the new potatoes holds its own.
You can truly serve this oven roasted potato recipe with any meal. The potatoes are amazing with a grilled ribeye, oven roasted salmon, grilled bbq chicken and oven roasted baby back ribs! They are the perfect compliment to vegetable side dishes like grilled asparagus, oven roasted broccoli and green beans.
What Type of Potatoes Should I Roast in the Oven
You can roast any type of potato, but I prefer baby new potatoes. The buttery flavor and firm texture make for the perfect oven roasted potatoes. You can also use Yukon Gold or red potatoes but if you have the option, grab the baby new potatoes for oven roasting.
You don’t need to peel your potatoes. In fact, don’t. The skin gets nice and crispy and makes the potatoes even better!
Shopping List (click to download & print)
Oven Roasted Potatoes Notes & Tips
- When you cut the potatoes, get the pieces as even as possible so they all roast the same.
- If you have the time, soak the potatoes in water for 30 minutes before you roast them. This step isn’t necessary, but it will remove excess starch and make the texture inside and out better. Make sure to completely dry the potatoes before you add the oil.
- Place in one layer on your baking sheet and space evenly to allow for perfect crisping.
- Halfway through the cooking process, use a spatula and move around the baking sheet. This will all sides to brown.
Save for Later
- Gluten Free
This easy oven roasted potatoes recipe takes less than 15 minutes to prep. They are crispy on the outside, creamy and fluffy on the inside and full of flavor. The perfect side dish for any meal!
- 2 pounds baby new potatoes, sliced lengthwise in quarters
- ¼ cup olive oil
- olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425
- Slice potatoes.
- Mix in bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Lightly spray baking sheet with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Rotate potatoes.
- Bake another 10 minutes or until browned.