This fall salad with arugula, wild rice, roasted Brussels sprouts and roasted cauliflower is loaded with flavor. The shallot Dijon dressing is one of my most favorites. Add a simple protein like salmon, chicken or steak and you have a full meal in a bowl!
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups quartered Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Shallot Dijon Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Put wild rice and chicken broth or water into a rice cooker and cook per the instructions.
- Trim Brussels sprouts and cut into quarters lengthwise. Put in a large bowl.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets. Add to Brussels sprouts bowl.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper to the Brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Stir to combine and dump onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1o minutes, using a spatula move them around the baking sheet so that they brown evenly. Bake another 5 – 7 minutes until browned but not burnt. Remove from oven and let return to room temp.
- Make the dressing. Add olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to a glass container. Dice shallot and add to olive oil mix. Shake and set aside.
- Add arugula, rice, almonds and Brussels sprouts and cauliflower to a salad bowl. Dump dressing over the top. Toss to distribute the salad dressing evenly.
IMPORTANT >> Give yourself enough advance time on the roasted vegetables and rice so you can bring them back to room temperature before mixing the salad.