This sausage tortellini soup has a chicken broth base, is loaded with healthy vegetables and is topped off with cheese tortellini and a handful of kale. It’s the perfect comfort soup during the cold winter months.
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 2 cups lacinato kale thinly sliced
- I (9-ounce) package of fresh/refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 4 cups chicken stock
- In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat.
- While meat is browning, prep all the vegetables. Chop onion, celery, carrots, garlic, basil and kale.
- With a slotted spoon remove cooked meat from the soup pan and reserve.
- Add olive oil, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper to the soup pan and cook until vegetables are softened but not browned.
- Add garlic and basil and cook for one minute.
- Add wine and tomato paste and cook until mostly cooked off. You can tell when you stir the vegetables and there is a thickness to the mixture. (See video)
- Add whole tomatoes and break up with a wooden spoon or with your hands.
- Add chicken broth.
- Add the meat back in and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and kale and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh ground parmesan and sourdough bread.