This slow cooker chili has turkey and sausage combined with fresh veggies, roasted tomatoes, chiles and beans. It’s delicious and healthy and the perfect fall meal for the whole family.
There is so much to love about this recipe. The flavor FOR SURE, but one of my favorite things is you make it in the morning, put it in the slow cooker and you have the rest of your day to play (or work). Bonus, the house smells amazing all day too! Top with your favorite ingredients and some corn muffins and you have the perfect cold-weather comfort food!
Two Things to Do Before You Start Cooking
- Read the entire recipe before you begin or even the day before you intend to make it. There’s nothing worse than being in the middle of a recipe and realizing you need another 1-½ of marinating time and you have guests arriving in 30 minutes for dinner.
- Prep everything. Different sized glass bowls are the number one ingredient in all of my recipes. By pre-prepping each ingredient, you take the chaos out of cooking. You also get another look at the recipe as you prep.
The more you know about a recipe, the more successful you will be!
Kitchen Stuff You Need
- Glass Bowls for Prep
- Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- Can Opener
Detailed PREP Instructions
- Get slow cooker out and plug it in.
- Place skillet on the stovetop. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Set meats on counter next to skillet.
- Rinse, dry and chop red peppers.
- Chop onion.
- Mince Garlic.
- Remove all tops from cans and dispose of them. Set all cans next to slow cooker.
- Measure out 2 cups of beef broth.
- Measure out 1 cup of red wine.
- Measure out spices. You can combine them all into one bowl. They will be added at the same time.
Print out the Slow Cooker Turkey and Sausage Chili Prep Sheet!
Now that everything is prepped, use the recipe below to cook the meal!Print
This slow cooker chili has turkey and sausage combined with fresh veggies, roasted tomatoes, chiles and beans. It’s delicious, healthy and the perfect fall meal for the whole family.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 pound sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (no salt/seasonings added)
- 2 15 oz. cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 15 oz. can dark kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 1 4 oz. can mild fire-roasted diced green chiles
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a large skillet and one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add turkey and sausage and cook until browned. Using a slotted spoon, remove turkey and sausage and add to the slow cooker.
- Add onions and red peppers and cook until softened. About 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute, stirring often.
- Add onions, peppers and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
Keywords: chili, turkey chili,