Whole roasted chickens are my favorite healthy comfort food. These double oven roasted whole chickens are cooked to juicy, golden brown perfection every time.
- 3 medium to large onions, cut into 2 inch piece
- 6 carrots, cut into 2” chuncks
- 1 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 (5 – 6) pound whole chickens
- 2 lemons
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 large bunches fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme or sage), rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°
Prep the Vegetables
- Chop onions into 2” pieces.
- Cut carrots into 2 inch chunks.
- Chop potatoes in half .
- Put all vegetables in bottom of roasting pan.
Prep the Chickens
- Put the chickens, side by side, breast side up on top of the vegetables.
- In a small bowl combine the salt and pepper.
- Cut both lemons in half.
- Cut both garlic heads in half lengthwise.
- Add ⅓ of the salt and pepper mixture to each chicken, reserving remaining ⅓ for the top of the chickens.
- Squeeze the juice of half of each lemon into each chicken and then place inside of chicken. Squeeze the juice of the other half of each lemon over the top of each chicken and place inside of the chicken.
- Add one garlic head and one bunch of herbs into each chicken with the lemons.
- Tuck the thighs under the chicken and tie the legs together.
- Brush olive oil on top of the chickens and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
Roast the Chickens
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Cover the chickens with aluminum foil and continue to cook another 20 – 30 minutes until a meat thermometer inserted into the middle of the breast reads 160°.
- Remove the chickens from the roasting pan, cover lightly with foil and set aside.
Brown the Vegetables
- Remove most of the juices from the roasting pan. I put a strainer in my sink and dump the vegetables and juices into the strainer. (If you are worried about the grease in your sink and drain, you can put a strainer in a large bowl to collect the juices and discard them how you usually would grease.)
- Put the vegetables back in the roasting pan and put back into the oven for 15 minutes at 475°.
Carve the chickens and serve with vegetables.