This homemade chicken bone broth recipe made with fresh vegetables and herbs is the perfect base for your next soup. You can also use it to make casseroles, add flavor to rice or any recipe that calls for chicken broth.
- 2 cooked chicken carcasses (breast and thigh meat removed*)
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 12 garlic cloves (or one garlic bulb cut in half lengthwise)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 – 12 whole peppercorns
- 4 quarts water
- In a large soup kettle or dutch oven, bring all ingredients to a light boil.
- Reduce heat and Simmer for 4 hours.
- Using a slotted ladle remove as much of the bones and vegetables as possible. (See note above regarding a more flavorful broth.)
- Use a mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the remaining broth through it to strain everything else out.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
*You can leave it but the broth is great without it and you can use the meat for a different recipe. Two for one!
Keywords: chicken broth