These grilled chicken sandwiches are so flavorful and juicy, you will choose them over burgers! (Most of the time.)
Grilled chicken sandwiches have a bad reputation. Most people get them all wrong and the result is dry lifeless sandwiches no one but the dog wants to eat.
This delicious grilled chicken sandwich recipe is going to turn that reputation around.
The key to juicy chicken is all about two things. Tenderizing it and the temperature you cook it to.
Marinating it adds flavor and the citrus and vinegar break down any toughness in the chicken.
Pounding the chicken breaks it down, thins it out so you don’t have to cook it as long and helps get rid of any pent up aggression you have.
Cooking these grilled chicken sandwiches to the perfect temperature ensures you don’t dry it out.
Pile these tender chicken sandwiches high with your favorite condiments and serve alone or add an Arugula Harvest Salad to the mix for more greens. I like to add a veggie at every meal for good measure. Try my go to Oven Roasted Broccoli or Green Beans With Almonds.
If you’re tailgating and need a little extra base for those beers, add some potatoes! Rosemary Smashed Potatoes or Garlic Roasted Potato Wedges will hit the spot!
Shopping List! Click it to print it!
Juicy Grilled Chicken Sandwich Tips
- You can use store bought Italian seasoning, but homemade is always best!
- Do not skip the tenderizing (pounding) portion of this recipe. It makes a BIG difference.
- Using a meat thermometer is the only way to prevent overcooking and drying out of chicken.
Juicy Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Marinate: 4 Hours+
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minute
- Yield: 4 – 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Grill
These marinated chicken sandwiches grilled to perfection are so flavorful and juicy, you will choose them over burgers!
- 4 – 6 chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Italian Seasoning (you can purchase store bought instead if you are in a hurry)
- Lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado, bacon (optional sandwich toppings)
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard and Italian Seasoning in a bag or air-tight container and mix. Set aside.
- Pound chicken until about 1/2″ thick.
- Add chicken to marinade and refrigerate at least 4 hours. (Overnight is the best when time permits.)
- Heat grill to medium high heat.
- Lightly spray grill grates with oil.
- Place chicken on the grill. Cook the first side 4 – 5 minutes, then turn the chicken over.
- Continue cooking until a thermometer registers 160°.
- Remove and let sit 5 – 10 minutes uncovered. (You can place a piece of foil over the top, but make sure it can breath so it doesn’t overcook.)
- Serve on buns with toppings and condiments of choice.
Keywords: grille chicken sandwich
What do you Think?